1. Spend Time to Conduct a Comprehensive ESG Audit and Materiality Assessment. Assess your organization’s current impact on the environment, society, and governance structure, as well as which of these ESG issues are material to or influence your financial bottom…Read full post
Product Spotlight: GHG Emissions Reports & Roll Ups
Generate custom scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions reports and calculate global warming potentials using the WatchWire Reporting module
WatchWire contains a wide variety of reports within our Reporting module to help you analyze and distribute your energy and sustainability data. Of the over 30 standard reports the platform allows you to generate, 3 are specifically designed for carbon accounting inventories and roll ups of data. WatchWire allows users to generate custom scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions reports with performance comparisons across portfolios and buildings. WatchWire calculates market-based and location-based emissions based on the Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Protocol’s Corporate Standard and uses EPA E-Grid subregion emissions factors in the US, and IEA factors internationally. Scope 1 commodities like natural gas, fuel oil, and propane are all based on the EPA’s Inventory for Greenhouse Gasses. The integrated energy and sustainability functionality of WatchWire coupled with our automatic ingestion of utility invoice and emissions data allows you to easily calculate your organization’s global warming potentials and scope emissions.
How it works
- Performance Comparison
- Compare the total emissions of two selected property groupings side by side with scope breakdown
- Emissions (GHG)
- Provides a visual overview of CO2 Emissions per region or property.
- Emissions Factor Report
- Our Emissions Factor report provides the applied emission factors for selected commodities based on site locations over selected time periods, whether you’re using WatchWire’s default factors or your own custom factors
WatchWire maintains default emissions factors from multiple standard sources, per below:
- Scope 2 (Electric):
- Scope 2 Location – EPA eGRID subregion (USA), IEA Emissions Factors (International). eGRID factors are updated as applicable. IEA factors are typically updated Q4 of each year.
- Scope 2 Market – hierarchy per GHG Protocol Scope 2 Guidance, with default residual factors from Green-e Residual Mix Emissions Rate Tables for US locations
- Scope 1 (e.g. Natural Gas, Fuel Oil, Propane) and other Scope 2 (e.g. steam, chilled water) – EPA Emission Factors for Greenhouse Gas Inventories 2021.
The default Global Warming Potential used in WatchWire is the Fifth Assessment Report published by Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Users subscribing to WatchWire’s Sustainability module can set their own custom emissions factors by commodity, node, and/or account. Users can also set their own custom Global Warming Potential if they want to utilize a different version of IPCC.
Sustainability Managers and Analysts will find the GHG emissions reports particularly useful when it comes to tracking their company’s emissions performance over time and identifying areas for improvement. The clear visuals, variety of filters and scope adjustments, and comparative analysis of building performance make complicated data easy to understand and share with C-Suite executives, investors, and stakeholders.
Additionally, sustainability employees may be faced with looming regulatory mandates on GHG emissions reporting, building performance standards, and quasi-mandated investor expectations to report sustainability metrics. Because WatchWire automatically captures and audits comprehensive utility and emissions data, the platform is known for high data accuracy and data coverage. This will be crucial going forward when GHG emissions reporting becomes more scrutinized for investor-grade data quality and auditable data is the norm.
Other sustainability-focused reports within WatchWire:
- EnergyStar Report: Graph of EnergyStar scores per building
- Facility Comparisons; Invoice management KPI comparison graph
- Portfolio Analysis: breakdown of consumption
- Quarterly Usage Comparison: quarterly usage K-wattage & cost
- Waste Recycling Diversion: Tonnage, refuse
This feature is important for clients that value clear visualization and rolled-up summaries of their carbon emissions and sustainability progress based on standardized emissions calculation methodologies and comprehensive and accurate data. Controlling your organization’s greenhouse gas emissions is one of the biggest ways you can combat climate change and respond to the growing number of consumers, investors, and regulators, who may require full-scale GHG emissions inventories within sustainability reporting. Customized carbon emissions inventories and portfolio comparisons based on real-time, audited utility and emissions data points streamline sustainability and energy operationalization efficiency within your organization.
The Reporting Module:
Carbon Accounting is only a small piece of the overall functionality available to our users within the Reporting section of WatchWire. The Reporting Module is capable of generating over 30 standard reports, analyzing consumption, demand, cost trends, weather impact, budget performance, facility comparisons, KPI reports, and more.
- Scope: Time periods are flexible, with users controlling what range of month(s) or year(s) to include in reports. Reports can be generated at the account, property, region, and/or portfolio level to analyze granular data as well as roll-up summary information.
- Filters: Through intuitive filters, users can choose what commodities to include in reports, allowing for reporting in native units as well as summary roll-up on a universal unit basis (e.g. kBtu).
- Integration: Reports display in the platform, but can natively integrate with Microsoft Excel, so exports from WW’s platform maintain all formatting (i.e. no hidden rows/columns, data formatting remains so it’s easy to copy/paste, etc.). Reports can also be exported to .csv and .pdf. Additionally, users can be added to monthly distribution lists to automatically receive (via email) system-generated reports.
WatchWire is a market-leading sustainability and energy data management platform that uses cloud-based software to collect, automize, and analyze utility, energy, and sustainability data metrics. WatchWire streamlines, automates, and standardizes your sustainability reporting process by integrating directly and/or providing reporting exports to ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager, LEED Arc, GRESB, CDP, SASB, GRI, and more. The platform provides customizable dashboards, which allow asset managers, sustainability managers, engineers, and more to monitor individual key performance indicators (KPIs) and create custom views for specific use cases. WatchWire provides:
- Automatic collection of energy, utility, sustainability, and emissions data through real-time metering. The data is then fully audited and organized all in one place
- GHG emissions tracking
- Goal tracking (e.g., Net Zero, SBTi, waste diversion)
- Carbon offset view of power purchases from the grid vs. on-site renewables generated vs. off-site RECs.
- Opportunities to implement projects (track EEMs) and monitor distributed energy resource production (e.g. on-site solar)
To discover more about WatchWire and its capabilities, you can visit our website, blog, or resource library, request a demo, or follow us on LinkedIn, Instagram, or Twitter to keep up-to-date on the latest energy and sustainability insights, news, and resources.
1. Generative AI is Driving Climate Action and Bridging the Sustainability Data Gap At the heart of the discussions on data and technology was the power of generative AI to analyze data needed for climate action and compliance. As technology…Read full post
Visualize your renewable offsets Analyze actual vs. guaranteed production Transparency into production issues With the rise in net zero emissions goals as well as national building performance standards, onsite renewable generation or RECs are becoming widespread. The issue, however, is…Read full post
Consult our experts on how WatchWire can help with your specific needs. Request a personalized demo today.Request a Demo